Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
songs video the 2016 ultimate kville pop top discussion 100

The Ultimate [TOP 100] K-Pop Songs of 2016 - Video Discussion
Video 
The Ultimate [Top 100] K-Pop Songs of 2016 is out!

Let's discuss it. What were the high points and low points of our annual best of the year video?

[Image: tumblr_m10eycXiOt1r99f4t.gif]
FOUNDER & CEO of K-VILLE
[-] The following 3 users Like Benny_K-Ville's post:
  • Cedric, Juicegot, marivijard
It was really nice to see groups like 4Minute so high on the charts! And it was also great to see underrated groups in there like Cross Gene and LaBoum! They made my heart flutter. ^^ This chart really is a great mix of great debuts, comebacks and underrated talent.
And of course we can't deny the obvious: This has been a great year for BTS and no matter how salty people might be, they definitely deserved the awards they earned this year. It's ridiculous how triggered people can get over this, I don't see who else should have gotten the awards they got.
[Image: tumblr_lmrnq7DLvr1qi2adeo1_500.gif]
K-Ville Forum Administrator
#OriginalSquad
[-] The following 2 users Like Yenna's post:
  • Benny_K-Ville, marivijard
So many good songs I didn't know yet *-*
[Image: tumblr_inline_ohnsrhaVP91tusze5_500.gif]
I'm so happy that Deepened by Brave Girls and Mirror by Fiestar got such decent rankings! Two of my favorite releases that kinda flew under a lot of people's radar. I also really appreciate how much the community supported WJSN, Stellar and KNK this year. Why So Lonely could've been a bit higher up in my opinion and I will never understand why people give Lotto more love than Lucky One. It's a mystery to me.
(01-04-2017, 03:38 AM)Yenna Wrote: And of course we can't deny the obvious: Tt has been a great year for BTS and no matter how salty people might be, they definitely deserved the awards they earned this year. It's ridiculous how triggered people can get over this, I don't see who else should have gotten the awards they got.
It's ridiculous how people got offended over the fact that Armys were just by far the most dedicated fandom and made them as successful as they are. I'm sick of comments like "I didn't vote because I knew BTS was going to win", because it's so ironic.
[-] The following 4 users Like Oncelvis's post:
  • Benny_K-Ville, Cedric, Juicegot, Yenna
Im so happy for mi girls Dalshabet being 6th omggggggggggg

I miss SNSD being there tho, this year they will be for sure with their comeback <3
#CUUUUUUTE
[Image: 200w.gif]

#OriginalSquad

[-] The following 1 user Likes Yoona's post:
  • Arthas Loves K-Pop
(01-04-2017, 04:27 PM)Oncelvis Wrote: I'm so happy that Deepened by Brave Girls and Mirror by Fiestar got such decent rankings! Two of my favorite releases that kinda flew under a lot of people's radar. I also really appreciate how much the community supported WJSN, Stellar and KNK this year. Why So Lonely could've been a bit higher up in my opinion and I will never understand why people give Lotto more love than Lucky One. It's a mystery to me.
(01-04-2017, 03:38 AM)Yenna Wrote: And of course we can't deny the obvious: Tt has been a great year for BTS and no matter how salty people might be, they definitely deserved the awards they earned this year. It's ridiculous how triggered people can get over this, I don't see who else should have gotten the awards they got.
It's ridiculous how people got offended over the fact that Armys were just by far the most dedicated fandom and made them as successful as they are. I'm sick of comments like "I didn't vote because I knew BTS was going to win", because it's so ironic.

Mirror by Fiestar is my favorite song of 2016! To this day when It comes on I never skip it, I'm always in the mood to listen to Mirror. To me, that is very impressive for a song that came out in February of 2016. I'm so happy that It did so well on Kville's top 50 chart.

I completely agree with you that Lucky One should have gotten more attention than Lotto. I honestly thought Lucky One was Exo's best release in 2016. When we were still making a top 10 list in the Youtube comments, I was voting for Lucky One and intentionally leaving Monster off my list (even though I liked it) just to give Lucky One the edge in passing Monster on the list.

BTS had an excellent year. All of their releases were strong. I liked all of their songs and videos from 2016 but their fandom really rubs me the wrong way a lot of the time. But I guess that the larger a fandom is the chances of some of those members being jerks are also increased. I congratulated ARMYs on youtube for their wins and brought up the point that dedication to voting always beats large fandoms, citing the 2016 Billboard fan army face off bracket. I mentioned that T-ara knocked BTS out of the competition in the first round, even bringing up that BTS had accumulated more votes in the first round alone than any western artist gained over the first 5 entire rounds total. But was met with an explanation that T-ara only won because their Asian fans were also voting in that competition... Like c'mon just take the compliment man.

Sorry about that rant -_-! In short, BTS is excellent. I'm petty about their vocal fans.
[Image: tumblr_n6pkhyxAWk1sbytfso1_500.gif]
Honorary producer / founder.
[-] The following 3 users Like Juicegot's post:
  • Arthas Loves K-Pop, marivijard, Oncelvis
(01-05-2017, 02:28 AM)Juicegot Wrote: BTS had an excellent year. All of their releases were strong. I liked all of their songs and videos from 2016 but their fandom really rubs me the wrong way a lot of the time. But I guess that the larger a fandom is the chances of some of those members being jerks are also increased. I congratulated ARMYs on youtube for their wins and brought up the point that dedication to voting always beats large fandoms, citing the 2016 Billboard fan army face off bracket. I mentioned that T-ara knocked BTS out of the competition in the first round, even bringing up that BTS had accumulated more votes in the first round alone than any western artist gained over the first 5 entire rounds total. But was met with an explanation that T-ara only won because their Asian fans were also voting in that competition... Like c'mon just take the compliment man.
Completely off topic, but international fans sometimes need to realize that it's mostly the Asian fans that make or break a group. I try not to judge a whole fandom by a few individuals, but gotta agree, sometimes Army can be a bit ignorant. But as you said, that's no surprise for a group with this much popularity.

... and in my humble opinion Lucky One was one of the better releases this year, while Lotto was one of the worst (besides Hard Carry maybe), at least from the big companies. Lucky One was such a solid and Exo's best release of the year (Monster's lyrics creeped me out a bit, but the choreography is amazing) and compared to their other two songs it didn't get the recognition it deserved.
[-] The following 2 users Like Oncelvis's post:
  • Arthas Loves K-Pop, Juicegot
(01-05-2017, 05:25 PM)Oncelvis Wrote: ... and in my humble opinion Lucky One was one of the better releases this year, while Lotto was one of the worst (besides Hard Carry maybe), at least from the big companies. Lucky One was such a solid and Exo's best release of the year (Monster's lyrics creeped me out a bit, but the choreography is amazing) and compared to their other two songs it didn't get the recognition it deserved.

Yeah I have to agree with you. Hard Carry and Lotto both just were not very good imo. Lotto was saturated in autotune to the point that I can hardly listen to it. And Lucky One was overall better than Monster. I only really like the chorus in Monster, the rest of the song is just okay for me.
          [Image: NR4J9RR.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Arthas Loves K-Pop's post:
  • Juicegot, Oncelvis
Was happy to see girl groups like Berry Good, Brave Girls, Dal Shabet (#6!!), Fiestar, Ladies Code, Rainbow and Stellar get their shine on in the chart, along with other slept on groups like Nu'est.

So glad veteran JYP artists like WG and 2PM were on the chart alongside the junior groups. Wish Fly had done better than Hard Carry (which I did not care for at all).

Nice to see 4Minute slay out with a bang. And Feel So Good was one of my favorite songs of the year, loved seeing it in the top 10. ^_^

I agree with the others that Lucky One deserved more recognition. I liked it more than Monster and Lotto and think it was one of the best tracks on the album. The 90s Daft Punkesque beat, simple but unique video, the transitions between a smooth and hype sound, and their powerful voices really shined more for me than the other two. (EXO rant over)
[-] The following 5 users Like Jannine's post:
  • Benny_K-Ville, Jaxon, Juicegot, marivijard, Oncelvis
I have to say, as the creator of the video, I was a little bit disappointed with the Top 20. While most of the songs were great in their own way (some not so great, but I won't name them), I was thoroughly disappointed that only 3 girl groups made it into the Top 20... 

While it was mostly 50/50 in the Top 100, it's clear to see that the most popular groups on the chart these days are boy groups (excluding bad-a** girl groups such as BlackPink and the now disbanded 4Minute). We need more diversity in voting. I'm sure 2017 will see a change. 

With having the poll where fans can vote for as many songs as they like, I can already see a huge shift in how people are voting. Girl groups are no longer being left out of peoples "Top 10" votes of the week, and they've been getting better positions lately than they were before. I think next years Top 100 Ultimate chart will be much more exciting!
FOUNDER & CEO of K-VILLE
[-] The following 4 users Like Benny_K-Ville's post:
  • Arthas Loves K-Pop, Jaxon, Juicegot, Oncelvis
(01-06-2017, 02:50 PM)Benny_K-Ville Wrote: We need more diversity in voting. I'm sure 2017 will see a change. 

I'm pretty sure that one of the many reasons girl groups don't get as many votes, is that kpop fanbase consists of straight girls the most and they obviously like to see men more (who doesn't want to have a crush who can sing, dance, looks good and is their opposite sex? probably almost everyone (talking about straight people at the moment) would like that more than having a crush on someone... way below average on looks and skills). That doesn't mean that girls don't like girl groups, they do, but the majority just prefers boy groups.

Also, 4minute and Blackpink being in the top is kind of obvious. As you said:
Badass girl groups
From my point of view, seeing girls being badass and cool, is a lot more interesting then seeing them acting/being cute. I have heard that koreans like girl groups more, but international fans prefer boy groups and international fans are those who vote in kville's charts (there are definately koreans too, but not as much as foreigners). So that might also be the reason.
You don't see that many kpop fanboys, so girls and their preferances have more power.

Also, personal problem, but atleast I admit it: It has a lot to do with jealousy aswell, because I know how jealous I am (very-very-very (didn't like that song though)) and that might be the reason for others too. I admit that quite often I don't like girl groups because I see how they're a lot prettier, skinnier, more TALENTED than I am and that also kind of reflects on my choices.

No idea what I just wrote, but I hope it's understandable

and if it isn't
then just ignore this post Big Grin
[Image: 20161018-001.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like marivijard's post:
  • Arthas Loves K-Pop, Benny_K-Ville, Juicegot
(01-06-2017, 04:12 PM)marivijard Wrote:
(01-06-2017, 02:50 PM)Benny_K-Ville Wrote: We need more diversity in voting. I'm sure 2017 will see a change. 

I'm pretty sure that one of the many reasons girl groups don't get as many votes, is that kpop fanbase consists of straight girls the most and they obviously like to see men more (who doesn't want to have a crush who can sing, dance, looks good and is their opposite sex? probably almost everyone (talking about straight people at the moment) would like that more than having a crush on someone... way below average on looks and skills). That doesn't mean that girls don't like girl groups, they do, but the majority just prefers boy groups.

Also, 4minute and Blackpink being in the top is kind of obvious. As you said:
Badass girl groups
From my point of view, seeing girls being badass and cool, is a lot more interesting then seeing them acting/being cute. I have heard that koreans like girl groups more, but international fans prefer boy groups and international fans are those who vote in kville's charts (there are definately koreans too, but not as much as foreigners). So that might also be the reason.
You don't see that many kpop fanboys, so girls and their preferances have more power.

Also, personal problem, but atleast I admit it: It has a lot to do with jealousy aswell, because I know how jealous I am (very-very-very (didn't like that song though)) and that might be the reason for others too. I admit that quite often I don't like girl groups because I see how they're a lot prettier, skinnier, more TALENTED than I am and that also kind of reflects on my choices.

No idea what I just wrote, but I hope it's understandable

and if it isn't
then just ignore this post Big Grin

I have to be very honest too. It's a vanity thing, but of course I get a little bit jealous when I see the over 6ft tall, perfect guys who were born like 5 years after me (makes me feel wayyy too old). However, I put that behind me and can still really enjoy the songs (as I'm sure you can too). My problem with most boy groups today is that they try wayyyy too hard to be tough and bad*** themselves. Like, are people really believing this persona?

We need more groups that are just real. Not a concept, not a product that companies just churn out. A group that really focuses on the music and uses their real personalities. A good example of a group like this to me is Mamamoo, though if people don't like their music I can get that too.

First and foremost, K-Pop is about good music. If it's catchy/fun/whatever, then I can get behind it. I'm just hoping to see more realness come out in 2017. A lot of older K-Pop fans are losing their passion because they've grown out of seeing superficial concepts.
FOUNDER & CEO of K-VILLE
[-] The following 2 users Like Benny_K-Ville's post:
  • Arthas Loves K-Pop, marivijard
(01-06-2017, 07:00 PM)Benny_K-Ville Wrote: We need more groups that are just real. Not a concept, not a product that companies just churn out. A group that really focuses on the music and uses their real personalities. A good example of a group like this to me is Mamamoo, though if people don't like their music I can get that too.

First and foremost, K-Pop is about good music. If it's catchy/fun/whatever, then I can get behind it. I'm just hoping to see more realness come out in 2017. A lot of older K-Pop fans are losing their passion because they've grown out of seeing superficial concepts.

So much realness here. Not gonna lie, 2016 K-Pop made me feel really old. I admire a lot of the new/young groups and think they're immensely talented of course, but a lot of the music just wasn't growing on me. The ones who did were groups like Mamamoo (whose grown and sexy, but still fun image is so refreshing and Decalcomanie was the bada** sexual empowerment anthem in a sea of cutesy love songs that was badly needed imo). Note: Ain't nothing wrong with cutesy love songs, just using it as an example!

A good chunk of my favorites this year were from the older artists who are pretty much past their beginner idol days and do what they feel like/focus on the music/experiment with different sounds or concepts. Ex. Shinee's 90s retro album, WG just being a cool lady band now, 2PM/Jun K making really good R&B music, SISTAR working with Giorgio Moroder and making that incredible MV, etc.

So I guess with some K-pop groups it's a matter of establishing yourself in the industry first and then waiting to branch out in more real/out of the box concepts?
[-] The following 2 users Like Jannine's post:
  • Benny_K-Ville, marivijard

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another video idea. xD Yenna 6 567 09-26-2016, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Yoona
  Video idea Yenna 3 441 09-13-2016, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Jonghyun
  Feedback on last Top 50 Fanvote Chart Yenna 13 1,285 08-25-2016, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Seohyun